The canine deal with aisle of your favourite pet retailer is undoubtedly full of rawhide chews in numerous shapes, sizes, flavors and types. Regardless of its reputation, there are conflicting opinions about rawhide for canine based mostly on the way it’s made, whether or not it’s protected on your canine and what options exist. Happily, when you want to keep away from rawhide chews altogether, there are various nice rawhide options together with issues like dental chews and bully sticks. Let’s paw by way of it.
Rawhide chews are dried animal skins, created from the leftovers of the leather-based business. Rawhide is the inside layer (hypodermic interstitial tissue) of cow, horse and pork hides and is separated on the slaughterhouse.
How is rawhide made?
Most rawhide is made abroad, and it’s preserved in a high-salt brine to gradual decay throughout transport. When it’s prepared for processing, it’s handled with lime to separate the fats from the disguise, after which different chemical compounds are used for hair elimination. Subsequent, it’s rinsed and, if wanted, bleached to look whiter and canopy the indicators of decay. Afterward, the disguise is sanitized, normally in a hydrogen peroxide bathtub, rolled into sticks, or shredded and molded right into a form, and dried. Lastly, the rawhide is packaged and shipped to shops.
The place is rawhide made?
Immediately, there are solely about 30 U.S. tanneries in operation. Most tanneries use an infinite quantity of water and produce giant volumes of wastewater. In consequence, a majority of rawhide merchandise are made in China, Mexico and South America, which have fewer environmental legislation restrictions.
U.S. rawhide merchandise are typically more energizing as a result of they journey a shorter distance by truck, as a substitute of throughout the ocean on container ships, and are frozen for transport as a substitute of positioned in salt brine.
Photograph 2: Canine rawhide chews are made sometimes created from cow and pork hides and are available in many shapes and sizes. ©Rachel Phelps
Ought to I give my canine rawhide?
Most canine are a fan of this fashionable go-to chew. Their house owners are too, as a result of
- Rawhide satisfies a canine’s pure intuition to chew. It is a wonderful constructive various to your pup chewing up your footwear, TV remotes, furnishings and different home items.
- It helps maintain a canine’s tooth clear. Rawhide acts like a doggie toothbrush that helps cut back plaque and tartar buildup and retains their gums wholesome.
- Canines have been consuming dried animal hides for 1000’s of years, so it’s an effective way to encourage a canine’s scavenging intuition and stimulate your canine.
- Rawhides are cheap treats.
Is rawhide dangerous for my canine?
In fact, there may be all the time a draw back, even to canine chews.
- Because of the manufacturing course of, there will be hint components of poisonous chemical compounds and micro organism contamination, corresponding to Salmonella or coli, that would make you or your canine unwell.
- Your canine could also be delicate to rawhide and even allergic to the chemical compounds used to make it. This might result in digestive points corresponding to diarrhea.
- Rawhide chews generally is a choking hazard. Not solely can rawhide trigger critical gastrointestinal upset, explains Dr. Whitney Bruce, accomplice veterinarian at Wills Animal Hospital in Owensboro, Kentucky, however they will even result in emergency surgical procedures. Pets can endure obstruction, or a critical blockage of their abdomen or intestines, which can lead to loss of life if not handled appropriately, says Dr Bruce.
- Rawhide may cause tooth breakage. The rawhide is difficult and dense as soon as dried and rolled into canine chews. If a canine is an aggressive chewer, or already has broken tooth, chewing the powerful disguise may result in tooth breaking or cracking – typically requiring surgical procedure to take away the damaged tooth. The rawhide may additionally trigger cuts and scratches within the mouth and esophagus.
- There could also be subpar high quality and a scarcity of security requirements on the manufacturing plant. Since most rawhides are made in China, they don’t have to abide by the U.S. legal guidelines regarding product purity and security. Additionally, the tanners should not required to reveal or recall merchandise which may be unsafe.
What are rawhide options?
There are numerous glorious rawhide chew options. These merchandise are sometimes created from components extra simply digestible than rawhide however have the same look and texture. Since rawhide is just not really helpful for canine beneath six months of age as a consequence of tooth breakage and smaller mouths and digestive tracts, these options are nice for a teething pet.
- Beef and Pig Ears – Deliver out your canine’s pure scavenging intuition with flavor-packed pure ears. The Farm Hound model even has ears that also have the hair on them. This hair acts as a digestive help and a pure dewormer. Nonetheless, ears generally, have larger fats, so they don’t seem to be appropriate for canines who require a low-fat weight loss program. $3.49 – $6.99.
- Bully Sticks – These single – ingredient sticks are a highly digestible chew created from beef pizzle (a muscle). These sticks are available in numerous sizes, shapes, flavors and even three braided sticks. $2.09 – $13.09
- Cod Skin Rolls – These low odor chews from Tickled Pet are nice for a lot of canine with allergy symptoms. These chews are made with just one ingredient, dehydrated salmon pores and skin, and are filled with wholesome Omega-3 oils. Accessible in eight to 10 roll packages for $16.99.
- Collagen Chews – Collagen is a protein discovered within the pores and skin’s inside layer known as the corium. It is among the vital parts in an animal’s connective tissue. “Collagen chews are glorious on your furry buddy because it supplies protein that’s naturally plentiful in your pet’s physique,” explains Traci Mierzwa, model supervisor for the Barkworthies canine chew model. “Whereas rawhides present an important distraction to your pet, our 100% digestible collagen chews are minimally processed to make sure the important thing vitamins are there to advertise wholesome pores and skin and coat, help in bone and joint well being, and the easy act of chewing prevents tartar and plaque buildup.” Chews begin at $9.99.
- Dental Chews – One of many massive advantages of a rawhide is to maintain your canine’s tooth clear and tartar free. There are some nice rawhide chew options designed particularly for dental well being, just like the model Loving Pets Ora-Bone Dental Treats. Their distinctive design incorporates a central bulb that cleans behind the canine’s tooth and the roof of the mouth whereas the nibs therapeutic massage gums and scrape the tongue. These chews are available in three sizes. Ten chews for $13.99.
- Tough Toys – Goughnuts model canine toys are made for probably the most aggressive chewers. These 100% pure rubber toys are excellent for the hardest chewers and have a lifetime assure. These also have a chew toy security indicator (a coloured rubber strip within the middle) that allows you to know when it’s time to switch the toy. In line with president and founder Amy Rockwood, the rubber recipes are developed by an in-house engineer, and the molds are designed for even the hardest chewers. The toys can be found in several energy ranges for all totally different sizes and kinds of chewers. $10-$25 every.
Canine ought to all the time be supervised when chewing on rawhide – it doesn’t matter what chew you decide – in case they gag or choke on the merchandise. If the chew turns into too small (sufficiently small on your canine to swallow it complete), take it out of your canine instantly and promptly eliminate it.
Now that you just perceive how rawhide chews are made, the advantages of giving rawhide and the potential dangers, plus the numerous nice rawhide options, you can also make a better-informed determination on the most effective chew on your pet.